Thursday 9 December 2010

Without Records

 

 "without records" Otomo Yoshihide+Yasutomo Aoyama  

In this installation, there are about over a hundred portable record players without records. In the space, turntables scattered everywhere, high and low, right and left, produce noises by the rotating friction, resonating in multilayer. Quiet, low-fi sounds form groups and change the entire image of sounds. This works provide people with an opportunity to reconsider the meaning, possibilities, and historical significance of sound art composed of records and turntables, which are being consigned to oblivion in the digital age. 

Otomo Yoshihide is an artist I really appreciate. He has a huge influence on my work and ideas. Today I was talking to a fellow classmate about an idea I have for a project using CD/DVD players (although different to Otomo's colab I see a connection).  I realized that I've had this idea stored away in a hidden (forgotten) compartment of my brain. I should write everything down and then develop them at a later stage (or discard them).